Santiago church

TO SEE

Cultural heritage. Castles

Santiago church

The church of Santiago was built in Romanesque-Mudejar style at the end of the 11th century or along the 12th. Of all the churches of the town it's the first of which had documentary news to be cited in the Fuero of 1140, for being held in its portico the meetings of the Council.

Erected in honor of the patron of the Reconquest, it has a privileged location next to the Pilgrim's Hospital of Santiago founded in 1445 by D. Ferando Álvarez de Toledo and the old pharmacy of the hospital transformed into the Teathre of the Village in 1842.

Built in brick, with a semi-cylindrical barrel vault, it is topped with a round apse inside decorated by three rows of blind arcades, covered with eight cloths on the outside. The alternation of brick and stone and other architectural elements is found between Muslim and Christian influence.

The massive Clock Tower remains original, with a square floor plan attached to the south side of the head, as well as the apse area raised on masonry plinth and decorated with trilobed arches of islamic inspiration on its north side.

On the northern wall in Baroque style, a three body brick belfry was erected. 

Inside, built with stone and brick, it consists of a semicircular main chapel and straight presbytery section, and a rectangular nave.

It was the burial place of illustrious figures such as D. Gutierre, the first lord of the village; the knight Antón Ledesma and his wife Leonor de Pas, as well as Isabel de Urbina, wife of Lope de Vega and his daughter Antonia.

Declared of Cultural Interest in 1996 in the category of Monument. 

Actually, it has the Pottery Museum of Alba de Tormes and the Tourist Information Point.

MORE INFORMATION

All you need to know

SCHEDULE

From Tuesday to Sunday:

RATES

General

Joint (Castle + Pottery museum)

+ Información

Audioguide in Spanish / English

To facilitate accessibility and better understanding of our monuments and landscapes through mobile.

Pottery museum

Contact

en_GB